The HS5 Powered Studio Monitor from Yamaha is a bi-amplified monitor that is designed for accurate sound reproduction. It is capable of up to 70W of total output and features a 5-inch woofer and a 1-inch tweeter with waveguide that can produce frequencies up to 30kHz. The HS5 has both an XLR and 1/4″ TRS input that accept either balanced or unbalanced signals for integration into a variety of studio setups.
Yamaha HS-5 Features:
- 2-way bass-reflex bi-amplified nearfield studio monitor with 5″ cone woofer and 1″ dome tweeter
- 54Hz – 30kHz frequency response
- 45W LF plus 25W HF bi-amp system for high-performance 70W power amplification
- ROOM CONTROL and HIGH TRIM response controls
- XLR and TRS phone jack inputs accept balanced or unbalanced signals.
When selecting studio reference monitors for mixing and music production, one consideration takes precedence above all others – accuracy.
HS Series full-range models feature two response controls with detailed settings that allow them to adapt to the surface acoustics of rooms of varying shape and size. ROOM CONTROL allows you to attenuate the unnatural, exaggerated low-end that can often occur when speakers are placed next to walls, while HIGH TRIM allows for more flexible control of high frequency response. For inputs, HS full-range speakers can accommodate a wide range of balanced and unbalanced sources such as mixers, keyboards and audio interfaces with XLR and TRS phone jacks. With the HS8S subwoofer, HIGH CUT control sets the cutoff frequency of subwoofer output high-frequency attenuation from 80Hz to 120Hz, while PHASE switch adjusts the phase of the subwoofer output. The LOW CUT switch and LOW CUT controls enables attenuation of low frequencies for output between 80Hz and 120Hz. The HS8S subwoofer is equipped with XLR and TRS phone jack for inputs and XLR for outputs.
Yamaha HS-5 Specifications:
- Speaker type: 2-way bi-amp powered studio monitor
- Frequency range (-10dB): 54Hz – 30kHz
- Components: LF 5″ cone, HF 1″ dome
- Crossover: 2kHz
- Output power: 70W (LF:45W, HF:25W)
- I/O connectors: XLR3-31 type (balanced), PHONE (balanced)
- Power consumption: 45W
- Shape: Bass-reflex type
- Cabinet material: MDF
- LEVEL control (+4dB/center click)
- EQ: HIGH TRIM switch (+/- 2dB at HF)
- ROOM CONTROL switch (0/-2/-4 dB under 500Hz)
- Dimensions: WXHXD 170mm(6.7″)X285mm (11.2″)X222mm (8.7″)
- Net weight: 5.3kg.